David Gerrold Joins the Production Team

Posted byyy | June 12, 2013 | Phase 2 News | 7 Comments
David Gerrold

David Gerrold

June 12, 2013. Ticonderoga, NY.
James Cawley, Executive Producer of the internet web hit, Star Trek Phase II, today announced that former Star Trek scripter, David Gerrold will be joining the production team as “show-runner.”

“We are very excited to have David joining our team,” Cawley said. “He knows Star Trek, he knows science fiction, and he’s a great producer. He has the right vision for the show.”

Gerrold is the Hugo and Nebula award-winning author of The Martian Child, The War Against The Chtorr, Jumping Off The Planet, The Man Who Folded Himself, and other science fiction best-sellers. He wrote one of Star Trek’s most popular episodes, “The Trouble With Tribbles,” while still in college. Since then Gerrold has written scripts for Star Trek Animated, Twilight Zone, Babylon 5, Land Of The Lost, Sliders, Tales From The Darkside, and other hit sci-fi shows. He also wrote and directed Phase II’s first two-part episode, the controversial “Blood And Fire.”

Joining Cawley, Gerrold said, “The Phase II team is one of the best teams I’ve ever had the privilege of working with. This isn’t a job, it’s a passion. The enthusiasm of this cast crew is inspiring, and the overall level of professionalism means we’ll be able to make episodes that live up to the vision of the original series.”

He added, “Star Trek is unique among science fiction shows. At its very best, it’s about discovering what it means to be a human being in a vast and complex universe. Star Trek represents the continuing challenge that humanity will face in the future — to be the very best we can be. Who wouldn’t be inspired by that?”

Star Trek Phase II is currently filming “The Holiest Thing,” directed by Daren Dochterman. New episodes are already in the planning stages, but Gerrold and Cawley both declined to elaborate. “We don’t want to spoil the surprise.”

Image credit Star Trek dot com

About RobertMfromLI

7 Comments

• Aaron-5 says:

That’s great news to hear,I can’t wait to see what new stuff Mr.Gerrold has got in store for us as well as that new episode called the Holiest thing.

• Rick Carter says:

It is clear the care you have taken by bringing in the likes of David Gerrold, D.C. Fontana, Walter Koenig (Andy Bray plays Chekov so well it’s errie), George Takei, Denise Crosby and even the late William Windom. The stories are as rich and vibrant as they were in the 60′s incarnation. I am intrigued with what you will unearth next. I have been sitting on a spec script I first wrote with the original crew (as you have here in Phase II) and re-tooled for the ST:TNG crew called “A Piece of OUR Action”… ’nuff said right. I’d enjoy seeing what havoc was brought about from McCoy’s communicator being left behind, even if no one is interested in mine… I’d enjoy seeing the story come to fruition… Let me know if this suggestion gets any “legs”. Thanks for an excellent job! Keep on going… May Phase II Live Long and Prosper!

• tribblecon says:

Oh great. Mr. “I Hate My Fans.” Good luck with that.

• Chris Russo says:

I met Mr. Gerrold at the June shoot. Very nice man. Took the time out of a hectic day to grab a couple pics with me. Everyone up there was extremely nice and patient with us noobs even while driving the massive undertaking forward. I dont know how they manage to get it all accomplished at all, let alone the budget they are on. Hope to do it again next summer!

• j.b. diGriz says:

By the Great Bird of the Galaxy, Mr. Gerrold, PLEASE just finish one of the next Chtorr books before going on to other awesome projects. Just one. Then take another 20 years off. Totally cool. JUST GIVE US ONE BOOK. Please? Have you no humanity????

*sigh* Twenty years…

by the time the 7th book comes out, I’ll be 80.

• Bill says:

Just discovered Phase II and watched them all. I’ve been a fan since ’66 and this is great stuff! The end of “World Enough” was so touching and well done that I watched the last 10 min. twice again.

Just saw To Boldly Go vignette. Going to really miss Jim Cawley, esp. after just discovering the show, but everyone needs to make a living 1st.

I do hope the series isn’t transitioning into the era of the movies though. Enjoying the incredible look and “feel” of classic 60s Trek is what is so great about Phase II, at least for this fan. Using the movie music, warp effect, etc. just leaves me cold. Hope its not a preview of things to come.